Wednesday, July 30, 2008

These things I wish...by Paul Harvey


THESE THINGS I WISH FOR EACH OF YOU

by Paul Harvey


We tried so hard to make things better for our kids

that we made them worse. For my grandchildren,

I'd like better. I'd really like for them to know

about hand-me-down clothes and homemade

ice cream and leftover meat loaf sandwiches.

I really would.


My cherished grandson, I hope you learn

humility by being humiliated, and that you

learn honesty by being cheated. I hope you

learn to make your bed and mow the lawn

and wash the car. And I really hope nobody

gives you a brand new car when you are sixteen.

I hope you have a job by then.

It will be good if at least one time you can see

puppies born and your old dog put to sleep.

I hope you get a black eye fighting for

something you believe in. I hope you have

to share a bedroom with your younger

brother or sister. And it's all right if you have

to draw a line down the middle of the room,

but when he wants to crawl under the covers

with you because he's scared, I hope you

let him. When you want to see a Disney

movie and your little sister wants to tag along,

I hope you'll let him.

I hope you have to walk uphill to school with

your friends and that you live in a town where

you can do it safely. On rainy days when you

have to catch a ride, I hope your driver doesn't

have to drop you two blocks away so you

won't be seen riding with someone as uncool

as your mom.

If you want a slingshot, I hope your dad teaches

you how to make one instead of buying one,

I hope you learn to dig in the dirt and read books.

When you learn to use those newfangled computers,

I hope you also learn to add and subtract in

your head.

I hope you get razzed by your friends when

you have your first crush on a girl or boy,

and when you talk back to your mother, that

you learn what ivory soap tastes like.

May you skin your knee climbing a mountain

burn your hand on a stove and stick your tongue

on a frozen flagpole. I hope you get sick when

someone blows cigar smoke in your face.

You just might try beer once, but I hope you don't

like it. And if a friend offers you drugs, I hope you

realize he is not your friend.

I sure hope you make time to sit on a porch with

your grandparents and go fishing with your uncle.

May you feel sorrow at a funeral and the joy of holidays

I hope your mother punishes you when you throw a

baseball through a neighbour's window and that she

hugs you and kisses you at Christmas time when you

give her a plaster of Paris mould of your hand.

These things I wish for you - tough times and

disappointment, hard work and happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do ya think? Do tell...I'd love to hear it:) Be Happy...

Follow Me on Pinterest

Blog Top Sites