Friday, August 28, 2009

Feature Friday...

...and my friend Frank.
Okay, Trudy is hosting her very own meme and it's a good one. It's called Feature Friday and it's all about the movies...new ones, old ones, funny ones and everything in between. At first, I thought...no problem, I can write about this one forever. Then I realized I have so many movies I love that it was almost overwhelming. I finally figured out which to write about and what I love about the movie, so here goes. Hope you like it...and be sure to head over to Third Time's A Charm to join Trudy!

Wondering why I mention my friend Frank? It's because I cannot talk about one of my all-time favorite movies and NOT talk about Frank. A movie that never fails to make me laugh until I cry is Auntie Mame, starring Rosalind Russell. I had never heard of it until Frank told me, about 17 years ago.


In order to tell this properly, I have to tell you about Frank and believe me when I say he would have loved being talked about in a blog. He would totally have been a blogger too, I just know it. You see, Frank was gay. He was larger than life, just like Auntie Mame. (This isn't in any way a discussion of being gay and my own personal feelings or anything like that...just a story about a teddy bear of a guy who introduced me to a fabulous movie) My husband actually knew him first and introduced us. He owned THE hair salons in town:-) Being friends with Frank was special. He was always there to laugh or cry with you in an instant. He was funny, funny, funny...and just plain a riot to be with. He could cook italian like nobody I have ever met. His cannoli were to die for and took a few days to make. (His mommas recipe:-) I have never had any even half as good and will no longer even order them as they are such a disappointment. I know...you have a good recipe. But they will never be Frank's so I'll pass:-)

Frank loved movies...old and new. He would call me and ask if Phil had a meeting and if so he would invite me to come over for a bite to eat and to watch a movie. He had 2 amazing black leather "movie" chairs that we sat in for hours, watching the movies and just talking about anything and everything. We talked about hair...of course...fashion, politics, decorating and religion. His brother was a priest and Frank was always up for a discussion on religion. and he loved to gossip...big time! He knew EVERYTHING that was going on in town...he owned the hair salon, remember? HAHAHA

But enough of that...on to the movie. He asked me if I had ever watched Auntie Mame and when I said no, proceeded to tell me every line in the movie before we watched it:-) When we watched, we laughed and laughed all the way through. He loved Mame...she was so over the top...as he was:-) I don't know if I love the movie or I love my memories of watching it with Frank, but it is one of my favorites. I wonder if it was considered kind of shocking back then? (it's nothing compared to today, trust me:-) My favorite line... "Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death. Live, Live, Live!"

Frank died a few years back of pancreatic cancer. He fought it as long as he could, never wanting anyone to feel sorry for him. He made others laugh even when he was so sick. I didn't see him much once we moved to Florida, except when he came down on vacations, but we did talk and I knew he was always a phone call away.

This movie is way too funny to end on a sad note. Frank would be sooo mad at me for this!:-) If you are looking for a good laugh...check out Aunti Mame. If you're like me, you'll start thinking about how you need to "live, live, live" too!

5 comments:

  1. I love the way you did this post, tying in a great story with your movie! So creative :-) Frank sounds like an incredible friend and I would agree that sometimes it's hard to really be able to tell if it was the event (in this case the movie) or the company! I'm sorry for your loss, he's sounds like someone that would be easy to miss!

    God bless!
    Trudy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it was a combination of the two that made you love it so much! Now you make me want to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. don't you love it when you have a great memory tied to a great movie - makes it all the more special :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post! RIP Frank. He sounded like a wonderful friend! I have not seen the movie, but will have to check it out sometime.
    I hope your doing well, and having a nice summer. I really like those Christmas ornaments, so cute!
    Have a great week!
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's really strange...but, I can only see the photos (which are great) on your blog and no wording...very strange! I'll be back again later to try again!

    ReplyDelete

So, what do ya think? Do tell...I'd love to hear it:) Be Happy...

Follow Me on Pinterest

Blog Top Sites