Monday, February 22, 2010

And They're Home...

I'm wondering how many people are aware that six astronauts were in space the past 2 weeks.
Maybe here in Florida we are a bit more aware only because of the location of Kennedy Space Center.


I'm pretty sure there were no breaking news reports on regular TV when they came home. We save those for celebrities who screw up and issue an apology we don't really want to hear anyway. (Sorry...just couldn't help that one:-)

I do think it is sad that there is not more coverage of the space shuttle unless there is a tragedy.
It is nothing short of a miracle that these 6 astronauts just traveled 5.7 million miles and installed a new space station room that will serve many purposes and has sweeping windows for those living on it to literally have a window to the world.


There are only 4 space shuttle flights left, which means I have 4 chances to take my girls over to see a launch.

Watching the space shuttle soar off into a clear sky is thrilling every single time.


What is also very cool is they way they announce that they're home.
Last night at about 10:10 p.m, our house shook with 2 sonic booms. I mean...they were LOUD!!! It was as if someone plowed into the house. We've heard it before but this time was spectacular and we knew it was those astronauts telling us they're coming home.


Why am I writing about this today when I have emails to answer and blogs to visit? Maybe because while I knew they were in space...I forgot about them. Like everyone else, I was curled up on my couch last night watching the Olympics, cheering for Bode Miller to win the men's skiing. (which he did...yay Bode!:-)
Until those two loud booms made me jump out of my skin.
Then I remembered...the space shuttle Endeavour was coming home tonight!


(In case you're wondering, a sonic boom is caused when the aircraft is traveling faster than the speed of sound and this is when they enter the earth's atmosphere.) Or something like that...can't believe I just gave a mini science lesson:-)
Anyway, their flight path took them over Central America, the edge of Cuba, the Gulf of Mexico and they entered Florida over the Naples area...


and let us know in a big way that they were going to be touching down in 10 minutes. Absolutely amazing!!!
So to our 6 astronauts...


Welcome home!!!!


There are people who make things happen, there are people who watch things happen, and there are people who wonder what happened. To be successful, you need to be a person who makes things happen.
James A. Lovell Apollo 13

9 comments:

  1. Oh Suzanne, you are so right on with this post. Never gave them a thought. My bad. My first husband helped design the lunar module for whichever it was in 1966 and '67 for NASA in Houston and we had such a terrible marriage for many years, that I think when we finally divorced and I eliminated thoughts of him from my mind, I lost what we were a part of too. I am thankful they came back safely though.

    Hope the week is wonderful for you and the chicks! Hugs, Mollye

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting on these heroes!
    You're right, we don't hear about it on the news, they were busy with Apollo, Ono that is.
    Your photos are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no clue that they were up there! That is sad that Tiger took preference over this for his stupidity!
    That would be really exciting to see a launch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only heard a very brief comment on the news about how they were scheduled to land, but had no idea they had taken off or been there so long already. I remember when I was younger watching the launches at school and it was always a much bigger deal than it is now. I think that is a very sad tribute to the direction our news media has taken, but you really don't want to get me on that soap box. The definition of 'important' and 'significant' news has changed dramatically, and not for the better.

    Thank you Suzanne for this wonderful post and for filling us in. How fun for you to be so close to the action right there!

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post!! I too, knew they were up there and forgot. I did hear about this last night on the news that they were home. Did I hear right, that it was the first time landing at night? Heros they are!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it sad how something so utterly amazing is not considered news worthy these days!

    I'm right there with you on naughty celebrities being the center of attention. Wasn't it so ridiculous the Tiger apology was on ever network, every radio station? It really made my blood boil! I really feel that the only thing he is truly sorry about is that he got caught. Sorry sweet friend...I'm hopping off the soapbox now!

    Boy what a thrill it must be to hear and feel the sonic boom and know that our wonderful astronauts are home safely!

    Thank you for this lovely post and a huge thank you for your visit and very sweet comment!

    Big Hugs,
    Karyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found you!! You sure do have a lot of blogs - lol.
    I've signed up to follow you along with the rest of the western hemisphere, too.

    Your blog is darling; wonderful.
    You seem to have a thing for ballet. Me, too! No, I am not a ballerina - the thought makes me grin and shake my head...but I have this thing for ballerinas. So graceful, such long lines. And toe shoes. I've been looking forever for a pair of used toe shoes for one of my guest rooms that has a vintage ballerina music jewelry box.
    I'm rambling.
    I agree with everything you said about the shuttle. I have a friend that works for NASA and I'll be he agrees, too.

    I look forward to hearing from you,
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! You are so right, I would much rather hear about this than some celebrity gossip! Have a sweet day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, I missed this! I keep a current events scrapbook. I did a layout back when the space shuttle didn't make it. I definitely HAVE to have a successful mission in it. Such a shame this was not televised. Honestly makes me a bit sick considering all the coverage when things go bad.

    ReplyDelete

So, what do ya think? Do tell...I'd love to hear it:) Be Happy...

Follow Me on Pinterest

Blog Top Sites