Saturday, January 10, 2015

Mmmmmm........Slow Cooker Sweet-Spicy Chili

Confession time........
I've made the same chili for years.
AND, it partially comes from a box.
We like Two Alarm Chili, which comes with all the seasonings you need.
Of course, you add the meat, tomatoes, beans........

However, we had a CHILLY day this week and wanted chili.
But I had no car to go to the store, so that meant I had to make it from scratch.
Whoa.......grown-up chili! lol
I found a recipe from Betty Crocker and figured, basic chili......it must be pretty good.
AND, it was a slow cooker recipe.......even better.

After reading the reviews, I tweaked it a bit (kinda proud of that;)
Rather than being a hot, spicy chili,
it was more of a spicy~SWEET chili, which was totally okay
with us.  (We love Cincinnati chili which is sweeter)
If you don't mind your chili with a bit of hot and a bit more sweet, give it a try.
My 17 year old ate so many spoonfuls while it was simmering, she hardly wanted dinner.
THAT good.
My 20 year old came home from work at 8:30, wasn't sure how hungry she was, 
devoured a bowl.  I imagine young children would LOVE it.  Husband loved it, I loved it.......all in all a great cold-weather meal.

20 minutes prep in the morning = a bowl of chili when you get home from work!
Adapted from Betty Crocker

Prep Time 20 min  Total Time 6 hr 20 min  Servings 8
Ingredients
2 lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef
1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped 
1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (16 oz) chili beans in sauce, undrained
(* 1 can red kidney beans.......if you like more beans)
1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
3-3 and 1/2 Tablespoons chili powder
1 and 1/2-2 teaspoons ground cumin
3/4 cup brown sugar (trust me)
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon pepper
* * * I didn't have garlic cloves so I used garlic salt in place of regular salt.

1. In 12-inch skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes,
 stirring occasionally, until beef is brown; drain.
2. In 4- to 5-quart slow cooker, mix beef, onion and remaining ingredients.
3. Cover and cook on Low heat setting 6 to 8 hours.

It was different for us, but apparently a welcome change since we devoured it:)



XOXOXO
Suzanne

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do ya think? Do tell...I'd love to hear it:) Be Happy...

Follow Me on Pinterest

Blog Top Sites