Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Cider Mills, Country Roads and Caramel Apples...

living in Florida is pretty nice...
most of the time.
but i figure after living here for 16 years, 
it's time to give credit where credit is due.

nothing beats fall in michigan...
or places like it "UP NORTH".
 (Petoskey, Mi)
and everything is up north when you live in
south florida:)
even the hospitals get into it...
here is my mom at an apple cart in the hospital cafeteria.
 it was so neat, i couldn't resist a picture:)

growing up there, i figure i have to share a few
favorites with you so here goes...

 a mini list of things you MUST do
if you go up north in the fall...
~go on a HAYRIDE
 ~drive...just get in the car and drive...
preferably down a COUNTRY road.
you'll see GORGEOUS colors everywhere as the 
leaves change.
~head up to northern michigan...
petoskey, mackinac island, traverse city...
 go on, just head north!
~ pop into Frankenmuth where they will say
WILLKOMEN (welcome in German)
and you will STUFF yourself at the Bavarian inn.
don't forget a visit to Bronners for your
first Christmas ornament of the year;)
~JUMP in the leaves.
go ahead...you're never too old!
and while you're there, make "leaf angels"
and have a leaf fight! haha
~stop at the nearest pumpkin patch
~and okay,  i have learned that college football
in the SEC (south) IS the equivalent of a national holiday...
and i am NOT exaggerating.
however, there is no stadium like
THE BIG HOUSE in Ann Arbor,
home of the Univ. of Michigan wolverines.
(ahem...it's ginormous...114,000+ watched a game Sept. 10,
that's why it's called the BIG house,
in case you didn't pick that up:)
~and my FAVORITE way to spend a Sunday afternoon
"up north"...
visit a cider mill!
 i happen to love Parshallville because that was closest
to me but they are all over. 
here we are at one near my sister's house.
you can't help but have a AMAZING day.
  
besides the CHARM of an old mill,
 the  red, crisp, delicious apples...
 there are the DONUTS!!!!!!!!
 omg...life doesn't get any better than a fresh,WARM
donut from the donut mill.
here is a link for homemade apple cider donuts...
or you can make the simple, easy version here...
you won't believe how easy and YUMMY they are!
(trust me on that:) the recipe is from one of my favorite sites,
southern plate.com and as they say...
they are "FOOLPROOF"
and NO, they do not taste like biscuits,
even though you make them with a can of biscuits:)
here is the recipe...

Melt In Your Mouth Doughnuts
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes

Ingredients
  • 1 ten count can Texas style buiscuits (or your preference, just not flaky layers)
  • 1 Cup Sugar
  • 1 1/2 Tablespoon cinnamon
  • 1 stick margarine, melted
  • Vegetable Oil For Frying
Instructions
  1. Pour oil into skillet to the depth of a little less than 1/2 an inch and heat on medium to medium high for about five minutes. In a bowl, melt margarine. In a separate bowl, combine cinnamon and sugar.
  2. Using a plastic bottle cap, cut the center out of each biscuit. Drop dough into hot oil, watching carefully and turning when golden. Once doughnuts are golden on both sides, remove to paper towel lined plate. Repeat until all dough is cooked, including doughnut holes.
  3. Dip both sides of each doughnut into melted margarine, then press both sides into cinnamon sugar mixture. Serve warm.
  4. don't make them while you are home alone...you might eat them ALL! hahaha
and another cool idea for a party...
donuts on a stick in hot cocoa, cider...
 (from wedfully.)
as far as apple treats go, instead of a giant 
caramel apple that, while good, are sometimes a pain to eat,
how about CARAMEL APPLE BITES.
 i am soooooo making these for football saturday!
thank you Taste of Home for the tip.

okay, here i was planning a short post today.
tough for me to do:)
i'll post my giveaway later today or tomorrow.
like a hint? 
RUFFLES!!!!!

XOXOXOXO
Suzanne

5 comments:

  1. I can't wait to do some of these fun fall things you have mentioned! I haven't really been in the fall spirit with all the stuff I have going on in my life right now, but this is definitely motivating me! Thank you!

    ~Trisha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your pictures. I live in south Mississsippi and we don't get to see much "fall" stuff down here either. Thanks for "virtual vacation".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Suzanne!Gorgeous photos it looks like here in Pennsylvania.We have everything as beautiful.its a gorgeous time of year for most of us wouldnt you agree?

    Oh the doughnut recipe,I shouldnt of come here LOL.I may try them this weekend.I never made doughnuts.I hope they dont burn for me.

    Happy Wednesday ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love fall! I am making 100 caramel apples friday night for a party. Those donuts look so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad we don't have the count the calories we read from all of your yummy recipes - holy cow!
    I have been to Bonners and had the chicken dinner at the Bavarian Inn! Had a great time there! And did do some damage in the shops...but free shipping home - show could I not?
    Love the picture of you and the girls when they were small.
    And all the fall shots! I love fall - the colors are just amazing.
    HUGS!

    ReplyDelete

So, what do ya think? Do tell...I'd love to hear it:) Be Happy...

Follow Me on Pinterest

Blog Top Sites