and unfortunately, we made a few.
soon after returning to the auditorium,
she was itching and had stomach cramps.
she slipped out to the ladies room, thinking she would be sick.
she did not throw up, but by now she was shaky
and looking kinda funny in the mirror.
i think this shocked her in more ways than one too, so she started looking up peanut allergies on her phone,
even though she knew the signs.
it wasn't but a minute until she sent a text to Alexis,
asking her to come to the ladies room.
when Alexis didn't get there instantly (kinda desperate now)
Taylor sent another that read
Alexis got there and they went outside to get air.
this is when she called home.
i asked if she was having trouble breathing
she sounded a little confused but not terribly out of breath,
and since she and her friend were near the hospital where my husband works,
one red hive over her entire body... and i mean she was red and puffy.
he asked what she tasted in the rice krispie treat to make her throw it away.
she said "it TASTED like peanut butter SMELLS".
you read that right.
she hasn't tasted peanut butter since she was an infant,
but she knows how it smells.
hates how it smells.
avoids it at all costs.
but it snuck up on her.
she isn't sure how it tastes, except to say it tastes like it smells:)
and he explained that
15 minutes more before getting help and who knows......
peanut allergies who would buy
i really don't know why.
maybe i was hoping it wasn't bad, that it wasn't a peanut reaction.
for sure, i don't know why i missed that one!
i write these posts.
i never thought it would actually happen to us.
but it did.......
and what a scare!
you might know someone or maybe you have a child whose friend
has a peanut allergy.
it's nothing to mess around with.
i know parents get kinda crazy on both sides.
but bottom line,
if a child has a potentially fatal allergy,
that should trump everything.
including the treat you had planned for a class party.
i had a friend get irritated at us once when it was her daughter's
4th birthday and she couldn't bring her favorite peanut butter cookies
to share with the class, because of Taylor.
oh. my. gosh.
i still can't believe she had such a HISSY FIT!
i mean, the poor kid already can't eat half of her trick or treat candy.
no peanut butter cups or reeses pieces for her.
no pb&j sandwiches either.
so deal with it, you know?
life is back to normal here.
i still have my little girl:)
you would never know we had such a scare.
Thank You God!
but in case anyone still doubts the seriousness of this food allergy,
let me tell you about these families who are not so
1. the family of Emily Vonder Meulen,
peanuts in a chicken sandwich while shopping with her Mom.
here is a link for a Today show interview.
2. the family of 18 year old Laura Benson,
RICE KRISPIE TREATS,
while serving with her church youth group on a spring break project
at church camp.
read her tragic, heartbreaking story here.
3. last year, 7 year old Amarria Johnson died after ingesting a peanut.
this story is so tragic, like all the others.
read her story here.
oh there are more.......
the high school boy who died after eating
an ice cream cone from an ice cream shop.
the scoop had been contaminated with peanuts.
then there is the high school girl who died in Canada when her boyfriend
kissed her after he ate something with peanuts in it.
having a 17 year old girl,
THAT is scary!
Taylor basically knows that any guy who is interested in her
is going to have to swear off peanut products.
same with her children someday.
these stories are so sad.......
and to think it only takes 1/1000
of a peanut to cause a severe reaction.
i learned SO much through this.
actually, i thought i KNEW the facts already.
not well enough, apparently:)
i just feel really compelled to pass on some of what i learned.
if this is of no interest to you,
no, i take it back.
i don't understand:)
because we never know when this might come in handy.
each of these victims asked someone for help.
but did not receive it until too late.
if you read all the way to the end of this long post of mine,
this was a scary moment in our lives.
to look at us now, you would never know anything happened.
but i think each of us is MUCH more aware of what could happen
and what we should do if it does.
who needed this as she prepares
to go out on her own in the future.
be back soon!