Monday, April 6, 2009

A Happy, Rainbow Cake...

My daughter had a friend visit over spring break and to celebrate,
Taylor made the coolest cake I have seen in a long time.
It is totally wild...just see for yourself!



I first saw this cake idea on lillypulitzer.com
from there, you can find a link to the step by step procedure
and a recipe for cake using a box mix and adding sprite and a few other things.
We didn't follow this recipe, instead just making the recipe on the box,
but I will tell you how we did it and if we can do it... you get the picture:-)

First of all, we used 2 round cake pans and 2 boxes of french vanilla cake mix.
(If you don't double the recipe, the colors don't pop
as much since the layers are thinner but you can use one if you like.)
After mixing the cake batter, seperate into 6 bowls and add food coloring. (we used red, yellow, orange, blue, green and purple.)
By the way, the gel food colorings work much better when you want bold colors
...and this cake is bold!!!:-)
Add a color to each bowl. In the center of the pan, scoop one color batter (approx. 2/3 cup) in the center. Then, you add another scoop of a different color in the center of that batter,
so your pan will begin to look like this.
We baked it as directed, checking it after an additional 5 minutes to see if it was done.
(You have to bake it a little longer than you would if using one cake mix.)
We then used a family recipe for frosting that we love but you could use anything...
even whipped cream. I'm telling you, the girls are CRAZY over this cake!
Kids and adults will love it.
How perfect for a retro-60's or 70's party, too.
Or now that I think of it, you could make one with softer, Easter pastels.
(Another cool thing to do for little kids is ask your bakery at the grocery store
to dye the bread rainbow. I used to do this for our preschool
and make mini sandwiches.
I think the kids ate just because they had rainbow sandwiches:-)
Happy Monday!



6 comments:

  1. That is really cool! I don't think I have ever seen anything like it!

    By the way...I'm mailing your package today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a brilliant recipe. Thanks so much for sharing. Much more interesting for my 7 year old then the same old marble cake I usually dole out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one cool cake! I'll have to make that one for my niece's birthday! Thanks!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the cake, so cute! I think I'll make me for work...like a wacky Friday cake or something. I'll let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been wanting to make one of these, I just need a reason to, or I will eat it all. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

So, what do ya think? Do tell...I'd love to hear it:) Be Happy...

Follow Me on Pinterest

Blog Top Sites